[Sloop Scoop 2008] Preseason #2, May 9 - May 17th

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Thu, 08 May 2008 15:00:30 -0500

Preseason greetings again--

Thanks to everyone who responded so far to my appeal for help this
year.  I haven't found a partner, but I have had several pledges from
$20 on up and every little bit helps and adds up.  I'm still short of
what I need, so if you are willing & able to help us out this year,
let me know as soon as possible.  I have to cancel the mooring by May
15th to get the mooring fee back, so I need to know if we can launch
before then. Please don't feel obligated in any way or feel you are
not welcome on the boat.  I have never and will never charge people
to go sailing, and in the past I have even turned down money offered
to me when people came out sailing.  This year I still won't turn
away anyone who wants to sail, but I also won't turn away any offers of help!

That being said, we've been working hard to get the boat ready to go
in the water by May 15th, thanks to decent weather and a couple of
preseason volunteers.  May 15th would be our earliest launch date
ever!  I have a three-month contract from May 19- August 15 (the
worst dates for a sailor, but we work when we can find work!), so I
want the boat in and the mast up before I head back into an office.

I need several people to help on Saturday May 10th.  I'll be there at
10:00 and I'll probably stay until about 3:30.  Drop in for however
long  you can--we can use the help.  The directions to the boatyard
are below. I'd hoped to work on Sunday, too, but it currently appears
the weather will not be permitting.  I need one person for the river
trip (more is hard to shuttle ride-wise), so if you are interested,
let me know.  The plan is for a weekday, but if we don't make it then
we'd be heading up on Saturday the 17th, so let me know if the backup
date is a possibility for you.  Ideally we'll be in the harbor and
able to put up the mast on the 17th, since I have a full day on the
18th and probably won't be able to do it then.  The tentative schedule is below

Again, the ideal situation would be to find a partner.  If anyone
knows someone with 1) sailing experience (enough to take out a boat
on their own without me (and without me worrying about it!)), 2) an
interest in racing, mechanical skills and an interest in actually
getting hands dirty working on the boat in the pre- and post-season,
and a pool of friends willing and able to help maintain and crew the
boat, let me know.  The arrangement I have had has been a fraction of
expenses (usually divided equally among partners) in exchange for use
of the boat, not actually buying into the boat. If you want to know
numbers, contact me.

Thanks for your consideration and support.  I hope to hear from you,
see you at the boatyard, or see you on the water soon.

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Friday 5/9
Work in the boatyard.  Be at the yard by 1100 hours.

___Saturday 5/10
Boatyard work.  I'll be at the boatyard between 0900 and 1230
hours.  Some jobs don't need me there so if you can come late morning
and stay after I leave that's fine.

___Sunday 5/11
Tentative work in the boatyard, noon.  Right now it looks as if
weather won't cooperate.  And it is Mother's Day.

___Thursday 5/15
River trip.  Meet at the harbor at 0800 hours.  Don't count on being
back to the harbor for sure before 1600 hours, but we could be back
as early as 1300 hours.

___Saturday 5/17
Mast stepping.  Be at the harbor at 1000 hours.

----------------

DIRECTIONS (driving) TO THE BOATYARD
The boat's located at Croissant Marina, approximately S. 141st St. ,
just east of Torrence Avenue, in the fenced part of the yard.  I
usually take the Dan Ryan to the Bishop Ford (used to be Calumet
Expy)--the left fork at the end of the Dan Ryan (to stay on I-94, vs.
the right fork, which is I-57).  I get off at the Dalton exit going
east, take Dalton to Torrence (at that point Dalton has become State
street), where there is a stoplight (I haven't counted stoplights to
that point yet, but it's about a mile from the expressway).  Turn
left (north) at Torrence and go over the bridge and take your first
left at the bottom of the bridge (there should be a sign there for
the Waterfront Pub).  Take that street (I think it's 141st) until it
hits the gravel lot and bear right around the fenced
section.  There's a lot by the Waterfront Pub, or drive east (the
direction you were driving in the yard) until the opening and turn
right into the fenced in area yard and follow the line of boats along
the fence.  The stern is facing the road, so you should be able to
see the Sloop's location when you're coming in. It may be best to
park in the Pub lot.  There's not a lot of parking in the yard.