[Sloop Scoop 2007] #4, July 11 - 25

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:42:08 -0600

Lake- and Landlubbers--

After several days of dehydration I am really glad the temperature is in
the 70s.  It's amazing how hard it it to rehydrate when on top of a 100+
degree F temperature you are continually baked and sweating.  But I'm
better now, and I have lots of energy for writing.

WE'RE ALL SHOOK UP
Finally after several weather and crew cancellations we went sailing!

We weren't sure that the shakedown sail would happen on July 1st, but NOAA
cancelled the small craft advisory at noon.  It was still a pretty windy
and wavy shakedown sail, and I wouldn't normally have gone out for a
shakedown in 11- 16 knots of northeast wind and 2-4 foot seas, but Gordon
agreed to come, Thomas also knew the boat, and our new crew pirate Jenny
Rotten (aka Marie) was unfazed by weather. Our cruisers Labeeba, Vishal and
Derrick didn't mind the ride as long as one of them stayed out of the cabin
below.  The Sloop was fine and enjoyed her tummy rub immensely.  She only
needed a tad of tuning, and the only event was a bowline coming undone on
the jib which was solved with a quick tack.

YES, SAILBOATS DO NEED GAS . . . AND 5 FEET OF WATER
The 3rd of July was characteristically eventful, somewhere in the midrange
of usual Independence Day adventures.  We did manage to do some sailing,
out of necessity since we were low on gas and the gas dock closed on
us.  There were 10-20 knots of wind out of the WSW for us, but other people
saw a lot more wind than we did. On a running reach it was a nice ride to
McCormick Place where we stopped short to avoid the crowds.  Dana and Chas
now know how to set an anchor (perfect job on their first try--Dana
informed a mischievous crew member that wrapping the line around her waist
really was not a good idea and she would ignore that suggestion).  Although
we were glad Mary finally got the grill lit, we all realized that
lighter-fluid is not the best marinade for vegetable skewers.  Everyone now
knows what to do when you get stuck on a sand or mudbar, since they got to
practice twice--once going out and once coming in. We learned that it's
good to bring a sweatshirt for an evening sail, and even better when a crew
person brings enough sweatshirts for those who don't have one (thanks
Chas).  We learned that sailors are a helpful bunch, and will tow you in if
you run out of gas at the channel entrance.  And we saw two fireworks
shows--one by the city of Chicago and one by mother nature:  the
thunderstorm coming in as we scrambled to get on the mooring (we only had
one chance and Mary and Chas made it happen) then back to shore in
time.  We did make it in on time, but no one seemed to be in a hurry to get
off the boat because the proactive bunch was busily straightening up and
packing things away.  I'll tell you, that crew and the rain made for the
cleanest post-3rd of July fireworks boat ever!  Thanks to Arleigh, Chas,
Dana, Eleni, Chas, Jenny Rotten, and Mary for being such unfazable
folks!  If you're on Facebook and join the Sloop Scoop group you can see
pictures now.

SHAHARAZAD
We now have an autopilot.  Gordon and I installed it on Sunday and he
finished wiring it to power and the instruments on Monday.  We haven't
calibrated it yet, but I'm excited. It will be nice to have an extra crew
member that stays focused (myself included here), doesn't need to be fed by
hand, frees me to actually show someone how to do something.  But then of
course I may miss those teaching moments like "Get that blue and white line
at the base of the mast . . . no the base of the mast . . . no, the blue
line with the white spots not the white line with the blue spots . . . okay
now wrap it around the winch . . . no the other winch . . . no the other
way . . . "

So our stand-in helmswoman has been named Shaharazad.  The brand name of
the autopilot is Simrad, and Gordon's autopilot was already named Sinbad,
so that name was taken.  Of course Thomas pointed out that at least Sinbad
was a sailor, but our little Sloop is full of adventurous tales and is very
accustomed to a loquacious skipper, so there you go.

FREEING THE FUTURE
moments that it turned out only half-happened, I quit my job on Monday.  I
had resigned the full-time position in April, but I was still doing
part-time work for an indefinite period of time. In one totally unplanned
day I was out of the office and went from the perspective of an intense
three weeks of workshops in July and something or other next year to . . .
well . . . the future is my oyster.   I do have some regrets of how things
played out; I wish I had been able to make it happen in a "better" way. I
don't have regrets about the outcome of a necessary break though, so I
can't let the perfect be the enemy of the . . . adequate . . . in this case.

So I plan on sailing, cleaning house, doing laundry, going to the farmer's
market, fixing food and eating right, exercising, keeping up with friends,
going to movies, and, well, catching up on breathing and living after a
long stressful run that finally hit the saturation point.  I'm looking at
expanding some self-employed teaching/artistic options (individually or
together), as well as looking at other part-time work options and
returning, yet again, to school. In the meantime, I'll be doing some
volunteer shifts at the Planetarium and at the Center for Book and Paper
Arts, and, at least for a couple of weeks, I'm resting.  I'll keep you posted.

. . . AND FINALLY, SAILING!
Tonight, this weekend, next week, next weekend, the following week.  Check
the schedule--I did change this Saturday from a sunset/fireworks cruise to
a day sail.  Come on out. We miss you. 'Nuf said.

Lake Michigan and the Sloop await . . .

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153

NOW UPDATED!  http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm
(what to do and bring, directions to the harbor, old pictures, and soon a
current captain's log and new pictures)
----------------------
SCHEDULE (the usual weather/crew caveats apply . . .)

___Wednesday 7/11
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  There is food to buy at
the harbor, so you may want to come earlier (any time after 1700 hours) to
get something to eat.  We should be back no later than 2130 hours.

___Saturday 7/14
Midday cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1030 hours.  Bring something for
lunch and something to sail.  We'll probably get in around 1500 hours,
maybe sooner.

___Monday 7/16
Mid-afternoon OR Sunset cruise
I'm taking out a friend and his family, but I do need crew.  If you are
free mid-afternoon Monday or Monday evening, let me know.

___Wednesday 7/18
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  Bring food for dinner
or buy it at the harbor (any time after 1700 hours).  We should be back no
later than 2130 hours.

___Friday 7/20
Morning cruise for anyone who is free or wants to call in well.  Meet at
the harbor at 0930 hours.  We'll be in not later than 1300 hours for a
late-ish lunch.

___Sunday 7/22
Late afternoon cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1530 hours.  Bring something
for lunch and something to sail.  We'll probably get in around 1900 hours,
probably sooner, so bring a snack to tide you over until dinner time

___Tuesday 7/24
Morning cruise for anyone who is free or wants to call in well.  Meet at
the harbor at 0930 hours (negotiable).  We'll be in not later than 1300
hours for a late-ish lunch.

___Wednesday 7/25
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  Food is available at
the harbor starting at 1700 hours, or bring your own.  We should be back no
later than 2130 hours.
ON THE HORIZON

Wednesday and Saturday fireworks cruises

A race or two if anyone wants to crew

Longer cruise/crossing in August