[Sloop Scoop 2007] #3, July 1 - 15

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:28:19 -0600

Greetings on a perfect summer day . . .

. . . and I had to work so all I could do was look at all the happy
boats.  Actually I was on the boat this morning tuning things up, but it's
not the same.

RIGGING, SAILS AND DETAILS
The sails are now on the boat. I had only planned to throw them in the boat
on Monday morning, but Gordon has a way of making me actually do things
instead of just think about doing them, and the next thing I knew 1) both
sails were up and furled/folded, and 2) I had a sunburn (since I hadn't
planned on being out long enough to need sunscreen).  The headsail was
furled backwards since the alignment of the roller furling drum caused the
line to chafe when it's furled the right way (further joys of the new
headstay), but the Sloop complained that it looked like her skipper didn't
know any better so I turned it around the right way.  This morning Gordon
insisted we get the furling adjusted right, and he managed to get the
turnbuckle turned and the drum aligned correctly.  Now the sail furls
better than it has in years!

We called Wednesday off because of a storm, and then it passed and
dissipated so we could have gone, and I had no takers for Monday or
Friday.  I went down to the boat those days and did some work on the
boat--tuning the rigging, adjusting the gear shifter, tightening things
down, coiling lines, organizing toolboxes and sorting through
paperwork.  It was nice just being on the boat.  The only problem is you
have to bale out the dinghy whenever it's been in the water more than an
hour.  Next project.

I also correctly wired the steaming light (the light you have to have on
when you are under motor at night).  I thought I had done it correctly
before we stepped the mast but I had accidentally wired it to the cabin
lights, which meant it was always on when the battery was on, which 1)
looks stupid during the day--especially when you are under sail and 2)
drains the battery. It turned out that I had cut the bathroom light, which
is the most important cabin light there is, thinking it was the steaming
light, so I rewired that right away.  But yesterday night I found the
correct wire and connected it, so we no longer need to have to have someone
sit on the deck and shine a flashlight forward when we are motoring at
night.  It was actually a great job for kids because it was an important
that they could do it.  I'll never forget how seriously our little pirates
Franklin took his job last summer. I may have to resurrect it sometimes
just because . . .

ARE WE THERE YET?
It looks like tomorrow (Sunday) will be *finally* be the shakedown cruise.
The winds look reasonable, the waves a little more than I'd like but
altogether sailable.  I do plan on going out on the 3rd of July for the
fireworks and should have a couple of spots, especially for people who may
have some sailing experience, so let me know if you're interested and I'll
let you know if there's room.

I scheduled a sail for the next Saturday, early afternoon, but that's
flexible, and next Sunday, later in the afternoon, which is also flexible.

I'll plan on a standing Wednesday evening sail, since there's food at the
harbor.  If I sail on Tuesday this week, I won't sail on Wednesday; but if
we get stormed out on Tuesday, I'll try on Wednesday during the day.

CONSIDER YOURSELF . . . ONE OF US!
No special invitations needed!  If you see a date you want to come, just
let me know.  I'm lousy at calling or individually inviting people, so the
Sloop Scoop is your open invitation each time.  Don't be shy!  I will also
schedule sails around people, so if you have family or friends or a special
day and you want to sail, let me know and I'll see if it fits in my
schedule and try to drum up some crew.

On caveat:  be sure to check with me--best via cell phone--before you head
to the harbor if the weather looks iffy.  We usually call it at the harbor,
but if you travel far and don't want to risk cancellation, be sure to call.

Now--let's get out there and sail!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153

http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm
(what to do and bring, directions to the harbor, old pictures . . .)
----------------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Sunday 7/01
Midday sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.  Bring something to grill
and something to share.  We should be back by 1600 hours at the latest,
most likely sooner.

___Tuesday 7/3
Fireworks cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1700 hours.  Bring something to
grill and something to share.  **Check with me for availability**

___Wednesday 7/4
Morning cruise if we don't get out Tuesday night--meet at the harbor at
1000 hours.

Also a chance for an early morning cruise & swim if we camp out on the boat
Tuesday night)

___Saturday 7/07
Midday sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.  Bring something for lunch
for you and something to share.  We should be back by 1600 hours at the
latest,
most likely sooner.

___Sunday 7/08
Late afternoon sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1500 hours.  We should be back
by 1900 hours at the latest, most likely sooner.

___Wednesday 7/11
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  There is food to buy at
the harbor, so you may want to come earlier to get something to eat.  We
should be back no later than 2130 hours.

___Saturday 7/14
Sunset and Fireworks cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1930 hours.  Since the
fireworks don't start until 2230 hours we won't be back until close to
midnight, so plan for a late night.

ON THE HORIZON

Wednesday and Saturday fireworks cruises

A race or two if anyone wants to crew

Longer cruise/crossing in August