[Sloop Scoop 2010] Sloop/Schuy goodbye this weekend (May 14-15, 2011)

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Fri, 13 May 2011 23:40:51 -0400

Ahoy mates of the Sloop John B--Cruisers and Crew and Sloopscoop Lurkers All

It's spring and middle-aged sailors mind turn to . . . spring
commissioning and lots of hours of work in the boatyard--usually.

This year after 15 seasons, the skipper's world has changed and
broadened greatly as joined the Foreign Service, temporarily left Lake
Michigan's shores for the Potomac River (where she survived death by
Powerpoint) and will shortly leave a little more permanently (two years)
for the shores of the Gulf of Guinea--specifically Accra, Ghana.
Apparently there is not much ocean sailing there, but I hear there is a
yacht club called the Yatch club--really.  I'll have to check it out.
Accra is tropical, with year-round temps in the 70s through 90s and 12
hour days, and I'm afraid without my usual change of seasons I will be
channeling the movie Groundhog Day.  We'll see.

Despite the year-long sailing season, the Sloop, ever a fresh-water
vessel and proud that she still has a working Atomic 4 engine (and wants
to keep it that way), has decided she will not be sailing to Africa.
(However Tonka, my soon-to-be-18 year old Ford Ranger, has jumped at the
chance to go on a safari).  Technically the Sloop is for sale but I
don't have the time to find a broker or get all of her gear together for
a buyer, so unless something surprising happens, she will sit for a
couple of seasons until I come back for home leave in the summer of
2013. Hopefully I will be able to put her into the water and try to sell
her then (and the market will hopefully be better), because I will be
headed back to DC for more training and then off to yet another embassy
or consulate in yet another country every few years until I mandatorily
retire at 65.

Meanwhile, I have squozen a couple of days out of my training schedule
to swirl through Chicago before I leave the hemisphere. I am planning on
hanging out either at my empty apartment or 7-10 restaurant/bowling
alley on 55th street Saturday (May 14th) around 6:30 pm on. I also want
to go to Julius Meinl on Southport and Addison around 11am for a couple
of hours on Sunday.  If you want to wish me bon voyage and Godspeed,
please drop by either or both of those place at either or both of those
times.

Please let me know if you will try to join me so I'll have an idea of
numbers and can let you know where I'll be for sure on Saturday or if
the time changes either Saturday or Sunday. (I'm here to take care of
business, so that takes precedence).

Thank you all for 15 wonderful seasons, and for humoring me by reading
this newsletter for the past 13 years. I wish you smooth seas and
stunning sunsets and marvelous moonrises and Godspeen in all of your
future adventures.

Love from me and the Sloop John B

Skipper Schuy/Lisa