[Sloop Scoop 2010] #1--the end of the Sloop's last season with me

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:51:31 -0500

Ahoy cruisers and crew--

The intention had never been to not send a Sloop Scoop until now, but
life has kept me scrambling.  The Sloop has been in the water since
May, and I've mostly sailed her by myself since I had a schedule that
pretty much allowed for last minute decisions and weekday morning sails.

This is our last season together.  The cost and workload virtually
alone were getting hard to keep up with, but I put her in the water
this year because it very likely that as of Spring 2011 I won't be in
Chicago, and as of Fall 2011 I won't even be in the United States. I
recently got a conditional offer from the State Department to fulfill
my lifelong dream of joining the Foreign Service.  It's been a year
long process of tests, essays, and oral evaluations, and after
amazingly being part of very small number of people that pass through
to this stage (only 4% of applicants make it to this point), I'm now
going through security and medical clearances. Moving to
different--possibly landlocked--countries every two to four year
would make it difficult if not impossible for the Sloop to travel
with me, and she wants to hang around the Great Lakes anyhow.

So I'm sending out, I guess, the last call for anyone who'd like to
sail on the Sloop and say "Thank You" and "Goodbye."  She'll be in
the water for a couple more weeks, and Fall is my favorite sailing
time (today being a perfect example of why), so there are a few more
opportunities.

We'll be going out at 1700 hours tonight, Friday September 17th and
possibly for a Sunrise on Sunday.  If there is anyone interested, I'd
be willing to go out again around 1630 hours on Sunday, also.  I plan
on making it out either Wednesday or Thursday night for a final
nautical welcome of the full or near-full moon.  I can also sail on
one or two weekday mornings this week also.  I will also try to sail
on both Saturday and Sunday of next weekend (9/25 and 9/26) if I have
takers.  Some of the times are flexible, and as in all, trips are
weather dependent.

I'll wax philosophic and poetic when the season is indeed over. For
now, I just want to invite the Sloop's (and my) friends to enjoy this
wonderful boat on this wonderful lake in this wonderful city one more time.

Hope to see you on the water.

If you want to come tonight, please call me on my cell (773-343-0153)
or email me at schuyjewell@ameritech.net as I won't be able to check
this email account often today.

Skipper Schuy/Lisa