[Sloop Scoop 2009] #2 9/26 -- 10/7

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:34:47 -0500

Autumn greetings!

We're still in the water and will be for a couple more weeks. I've
actually been out on the Sloop quite a bit this month with a few
folks finally making it on, and will try to enjoy the remaining days
we have after a slow June and July.  If you're on facebook, go to the
Sloop Scoop group and check out Matthew's awesome in the water and
underwater photos made possible by Nikki's cool waterproof camera housing.

RIP Arne
Again, I'm sorry for the break in communication, but this time it was
due to sad news. Gordon's brother Arne died September 6th, from lung
complications after fighting cancer for the past year.  Arne taught
me so much about sailing--I always felt secure with him on the
helm--even as recently as a rough river trip last Spring.  I've
learned even more about taking care of a boat. In the midst of the
chaos of a broken impeller in a narrow Sturgeon Bay channel, he had
the presence of mind to say "Lisa, you have a boat now, you're going
to have to do this someday so you better come down and watch." My
first full season I had to do some repairs on the hull.  Arne, a tool
and die maker, insisted on giving me a die grinder because "Everyone
has to have a die grinder."  I can't imagine a spring commissioning
without a die grinder, and may fellow die-grinder-less boaters have
borrowed it, so I know that's true.  Even this past summer Gordon
consulted Arne regarding my engine problems.  He will be missed.  The
Sloop dressed ship for him the days after he died in remembrance.  So
I've been with Gordon and his family quite a bit lately, and not
really thinking about sending out emails recruiting for cruisers and crew.

SAILING
It looks like a wet Saturday and a windy Sunday, but we'll try to get
out tomorrow.  If you are reading this email and want to go, contact
me.  I'm sorting out at time.

Next Wednesday night (September 30th--and if we're still in the water
October 7) will be a cruise--no more races.  Meet at the harbor at
6:30 and well try to get out before 7:00 since it's hard setting up
in the dark.  The following weekend, October 3 & 4, I'll try to sail
both days, probably late morning/early afternoon.  I'd like to stay
in until the weekend of the 11th but we may not make that this
year.  So if you're free for a weekday day sail, or next weekend, or
tomorrow, let me know.

MAST DROPPING AND RIVER TRIP
These will most likely happen within the next couple of weeks.  I'll
give more details next week, once I coordinate with Isle Marie and
Two Acres, our partners in the flotilla.

Hope to see some of you before the season ends.  Enjoy fall.

Skipper Schuy/Lisa
cell:  773-343-0153
General information: http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm
(what to do and bring, directions to the harbor (long-winded but
interesting and accurate), etc.)

SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)
no fixed schedule--see paragraphs above for approximate dates and
times and contact me.