[Sloop Scoop 2009] Preseason #2, May 1 - 9

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:21:35 -0500

Ahoy cruisers and crew--

Launch minus two days!  We're getting closer!

BOATYARD WORK

Thanks to Gordon, Chas, Kim, Virginia (who doesn't sail but likes to
work!), and new crew Zach and Albert (we're covered now A to
Z  ;)  )  for help with washing and waxing the hull, cleaning the
teak (still needs oiling), painting the bottom, and helping me get a
new battery. I'm still being gingerly with my back so that I don't
reinjure it before I get the boat in the water, so all extra hands
are much appreciated.

I've doing a facebook countdown and documenting my major task of
repairing a crack in the keel/hull joint .  We were mysteriously
taking on some water last year (not enough to sink the boat unless it
wasn't pumped out for a couple of weeks), and we saw a hairline crack
when we pulled the boat out.  A keel/hull patch was a regular task
for the first few seasons but I thankfully haven't had to do one in
years.  I'm really happy with how the repair came out; I'll be
happier if we aren't taking on water! Yesterday I spliced a new
mooring line and finished varnishing the tiller.  Today I may get a
well-deserved rain break, but if it clears up (as it appears to be
doing!) I'll head back down and take care of another task or two.

PRE LAUNCH HELP:  MAY DAY
I need help on Friday, May 1st (if you are looking for some labor to
do to celebrate May Day).  I'd like to get the teak oiled, paint the
last few spots on the bottom, check the throttle and gear shifter and
get the boat straightened up and ready for the river trip. I plan to
be at the boat between 1000 hours and 1300 hours.

RIVER TRIP
We're on schedule for a Saturday, May 2nd launch and it looks like
the weather may cooperate.  The usual flotilla of the Sloop, Ilse
Marie (Gordon's boat), and Two Acres (Al's boat) will head up the
river together as usual.

I need one person to come with me on the river trip. We usually do
the trip on a weekday to avoid a plethora of powerboats, but people
have been clamoring for us to go on a Saturday so that they can
come.  So far no one I've asked or would ask is available.   Back to
weekdays next time!

**Some experience is necessary: you have to know how to cleat, and
tie on fenders and I'd prefer someone who can also handle the tiller
if necessary.

**You need to be able to get to Jackson Park Yacht Club (JPYC) by 8am.

It is an interesting trip.  Unfortunately, because of logistics in
shuttling cars I can't take a bunch of people along for the ride.  If
you are interested, call me or facebook me or email me ASAP.  Even if
you think you may not have enough experience, let me know anyway.  I
need someone, so it may come down to a warm body who is trustworthy
and learns quickly and can get to JPYC on time!

BECOMING A SAILBOAT
Until the mast is up, we are just a poor excuse for a power
boat.  So, I need help on Sunday afternoon getting the mast down from
the rack and ready to go.  If we don't get to it on Sunday, we'll try
for Monday.  I'd like to raise the mast on Wednesday morning if
possible. If you are free Sunday afternoon, Monday (any time) or
Wednesday (any time morning through early afternoon), let me know.

I'm looking at Friday or Saturday May (9 or 10) for a shakedown
cruise, gentle enough weather permitting.  I had the roller furling
worked on over winter (they recut it, repaired it, and replaced all
the blue covering that was falling apart (sorry, Vangpire, we won't
look as much like a pirate boat anymore), and I can't wait to see it
up!  We'll try to do some cleaning and getting the boat together
before, during, or after the shakedown, to transform the Sloop from
spring work boat to summer play boat.

Directions to the boatyard are below.  Directions to the harbor are
on the Sloop Scoop site:

http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/

I hope to hear from you, see you at the boatyard, see you at the
harbor, or see you on the water soon!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

-----------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Friday 5/1
Work in the boatyard, anytime between 1000 and 1300 hours.

___Saturday 5/2
River trip.

___Sunday 5/3
Work on the mast, probably mid afternoon.

___Wednesday 5/6
Tentative mast stepping.  Be at the harbor by 1000 hours.

___Friday 5/8 or Saturday 5/9
Shakedown sail (early evening if Friday, late morning if Saturday)

----------------
ON THE HORIZON
Lots of sailing!!!

-----------------
DIRECTIONS (driving) TO THE BOATYARD
The boat's located at Croissant Marina, approximately S. 141st St. ,
just east of Torrence Avenue, in the fenced part of the yard.  I
usually take the Dan Ryan to the Bishop Ford (used to be Calumet
Expy)--the left fork at the end of the Dan Ryan (to stay on I-94, vs.
the right fork, which is I-57).  I get off at the Dalton exit going
east, take Dalton to Torrence (at that point Dalton has become State
street), where there is a stoplight (I haven't counted stoplights to
that point yet, but it's about a mile from the expressway).  Turn
left (north) at Torrence and go over the bridge and take your first
left at the bottom of the bridge (there should be a sign there for
the Waterfront Pub).  Take that street (I think it's 141st) until it
hits the gravel lot and bear right around the fenced
section.  There's a lot by the Waterfront Pub, or drive east (the
direction you were driving in the yard) until the opening and turn
right into the fenced in area yard and follow the line of boats along
the fence.  The stern is facing the road, so you should be able to
see the Sloop's location when you're coming in. It may be best to
park in the Pub lot.  There's not a lot of parking in the yard.