[Sloop Scoop 2008] #6 We're sailing!

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:47:07 -0500

Ahoy again--

**If you want to sail tonight (Thursday) or this weekend let me know
(e-mail or cell phone).**

I'm healing, and have mostly weakness and nerve tingling now, not so
much pain.  I'll spare you all the details unless you write to ask
about them!  I have managed to get out a few times in the past few
weeks, keeping the load light and making sure I had at least two crew
members to help.  Thanks to Gordon, the Vangpire, Paul, Thomas, and
Chas for making that happen.  Thanks especially to Chas and Gordon
for doing regular bilge pump duty so the boat didn't sink along the way.

Our last sail was glorious and notable.  Chas brought the boat from
the can to the dock, and the Vangpire brought the boat to the dock
when we came in.  That was great for me bacause the main reason I
couldn't sail after the first couple weeks of my injury was because I
couldn't get to the boat.  I could have sailed if the boat could come
to me.  So this is a step, and with a bit more practice with handling
the motor I'll have people that can help.

On our last sail, also, the Vangire brought along a friend and a
couple of young pirates.  The eldest, Daniel, who I think was 8 years
old, spent a lot of time on the helm as was very good at it.  When he
first took it, we tried to tell him he needed to push the tiller
opposite the direction he wanted to go. "I know," he said--it's just
like Flight Simulator.    Later when we were motoring, he asked if he
could have the "joystick" again.  What a great concept for the
tiller.  I told him it's harder to hold on because of the backwash
from the propeller when we're motoring, and after he took it he said,
"Yes, I see, the boat does have a great desire go to
starboard."  Desire, what a great concept for the Sloop's
direction.  She had a "great desire" to sail herself all
summer.  It's been a light season, but good when I could be out.

And it's not over yet!  Fall is my favorite time to be out and we
plan on getting out when we can.  If you are free weekdays or
weeknights let me know.  I'm scheduling around "desires" these
days.  I have to work around physical therapy appointments, but other
than that I'm pretty open.

We'd like to sail tonight (Thursday) if I can get another person who
can help. Wanna go?

Also, both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.  See the schedule.  I
may try for a Friday night next week since they have fireworks on
Friday nights this fall.

Don't give up on the ship or the skipper!  Hope to see you soon.

Skipper Schuy
cell:  773-343-0153

SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Thursday 9/18
Evening sail. Be at the harbor at 1815 hours, we'll leave the dock
around 1840 hours. They will be selling burgers, etc.  We should be
back by 2130 hours at the latest.

___Saturday 9/20
Afternoon sail.  Be at the harbor at 1400 hours.  We should be back
by 1730 hours.

___Sunday 9/21
Lunch equinox cruise.  Be at the harbor at 11:00 hours.  We should be
back by 1500 hours.  It's not exactly the equinox, but as close as
we're going to get to the last day of the calendar summer.  Bring
something for yourself and something to share.  If it's calm and I
have enough crew to both sail and cook, I could try the grill, but
I'm a bit hesitant to promise it.

___Thursday 9/25 or Friday 9/26
Evening sail. Be at the harbor at 1830 hours. We need to leave the
dock by 1900 so we have light to raise sails.  We should be back by
2130 hours on Thursday, later if we go to see fireworks on Friday.

ON THE HORIZON
Fall sailing
River Trip