[Sloop Scoop 2008] #4, June 18 - 25

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:36:16 -0500

Sailors & Would-be sailors--

It's been a wet and breezy June, but we have gotten out a few times
since I last wrote, getting an early season visit from the Vangpire
and Maureen for one of those rarer light air days, and Thomas (aka
Scott Free) for one of those typical heavy air days.  I can't get the
Sloop Scoop out as often when work gets busy like it has been, but I
do plan to get out and sail even if I don't announce it so be sure to
check with me to see if I'm sailing.  On the same token, if I put a
date on the Sloop Scoop and you don't tell me you plan on coming, you
may show up to find out that I'm not there. I often cancel sails if
no one lets me know they want to come by at least the day before, and
I often go sailing some other time or on some other boat instead.  So
be in touch.

FULL MOON SAIL
It's the Vangpire's favorite treat, meeting Luna as she begins her
fully illuminated trek across the sky.  It will be on a Wednesday,
which is a casual race night and everyone is welcome.  We need to
leave by 1845 hours to make sure we make the start of the race.  It
looks to be a perfect sailing and moonwatching night.

SUMMER SOLSTICE SUNRISE AND A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S CRUISE
To date my most memorable midsummer's night was 25 years ago, when I
watched A Midsummer Night's Dream performed in an open-air theatre in
Regent's Park in London.  At one point I turned to my friend beside
me and *almost* said "Look it's a full sun tonight!" as I watched it
set huge and red behind the stage.  Night fell and the faerie lights
went on on the stage and it was magical.

This year I'm not in London, but magic is still possible.  I've
always wanted to celebrate the longest day of the year by greeting
the sun in the morning and wishing it farewell in the evening.  This
year I'm planning both a sunrise and sunset cruise.  For the
midsummer night's cruise I'll bring along a copy of Shakespeare and
we can laugh along with Puck and the faeries.

RACING BEHIND
We had an accidentally good start for our first race of the year last
Wednesday, and a good first leg until we tacked over to pass the crib
to the south only to find that the other boats were taking the crib
to the north.  I had been told marks to starboard, but they must have
changed their minds.  Anyway, we never caught back up, but we did
finish the race.  It was breezy, 15-20 knots, and we had a reef for
the windward leg and shook it out for the leeward leg and then put it
back in to sail another hour or so after the race was
over.  Wednesday night races are essentially cruising with a place to
go, and you'll get to sail points of sail that we don't usually do on
cruises, and get to activate that competitive spirit.  If you want to
come on Wednesdays, try to bring a watch--you know, that thing you
used to strap on your wrist to tell time before you had a cell
phone.  We need to know minutes AND seconds and we don't want to lose
cell phones overboard.

COME SAIL WITH US
The general information (what to do and bring) and directions to the
harbor (long-winded but interesting and accurate) can always be found
on the Sloop Scoop site at
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

Sail on . . .

Skipper Schuy/Lisa
-----------------

SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Wednesday 6/18
Evening sail. Be at the harbor at 1815 hours, we'll leave the dock
around 1840 hours. They will be selling burgers, etc.  We should be
back by 2130 hours at the latest.

___Saturday 6/21
Summer Solstice Sunrise.  Meet at the harbor at 0415.  We'll go on
either the Sloop or Isle Marie.  We should be back by 0830 hours at
the latest, probably earlier.

A Midsummer Night's Cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 0730 hours.  We'll
try to stay out at least to see the fireworks from down south at 2200
hours.  We'll be back in at 2245 hours at the latest--probably sooner.

___Wednesday 6/25
Evening sail/beer can race. Be at the harbor at 1830 hours. We need
to leave the dock by 1845.  They'll sell food at the harbor
beforehand. We should be back by 2130 hours at the latest.

ON THE HORIZON
A few races
Fireworks
A great sailing season!