[Sloop Scoop 2008] #5 Skipper sidelined by health issues

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:36:47 -0500

Greetings cruisers and crew--

I just wanted to check in with you all.  On the 4th of July as I was
putting the boat away I started having bad hip and back spasms, and
since then I have been suffering from a pretty bad bout of  back
problem that I've had off and on since I was 12 years old.  I have
been unable to sail ever since then, as I couldn't sit or stand for
long periods of time in general, and since I was sitting and standing
a lot at work all I could do when I got home and on weekends was lie
down. It didn't help that I need to carry Cap'n Jack down the stairs
for the past few months.

This past Friday, after it had been getting better, I was getting
ready to go to Wisconsin for Gordon's family reunion but I had a
relapse of excruciating pain and spasms which also hit the sciatic
nerve, leaving my leg asleep and week and out of control and I
couldn't go.  I've been hobbling around all weekend with a cane
wondering if my leg will ever feel normal again.  My mother, who I
should be taking care of, had to bring me food and pick things I
dropped off the ground because I couldn't do it, and has to chauffeur
me to the doctor because it's too painful to drive--especially a
stick. This is really the worst bout I've ever had, and the
longest.  I have a pretty high pain tolerance and rarely take
medication but I exceeded my tolerance--and have been taking 800 mg
of ibuprofen multiple times a day, and that just barely had an
effect. This weekend I had to have my dog walker walk Cap'n Jack
because I can't handle a leash and a cane very well.  I'll need help
with that for several days.  My younger big brother Hasan brought me
food today.  It's nice to have someone who knows what to buy for a vegetarian!

I have seen a doctor twice and have other appointments and tests
scheduled, but I don't know when I'll be able to sail again.  I would
hope I could sail by next weekend, but the problem is getting in an
out of the dinghy, and the boat can't come to me without me, unfortunately.

So I'm not off sailing alone and having fun without you all, I was
just working a lot and couldn't spend time at the computer because I
can't sit for long, and anyway I kept hoping I'd be able to write and
say we could go sailing soon.  So since I'm pretty much in my house
on my back most of the time (I was working and on my feet or sitting
constantly, which made it worse). I could use calls or visits or
e-mails.  It's getting pretty painful and lonely around here looking
at my apartment walls and ceilings all the time. So cheer me up!!!!

I'll let you know when we're sailing again.  My contract work will be
over soon and so I'll also have more time to sail.  I've been pretty
beat up work-wise these past few months, and perimenopausal, so I
really need some sailtherapy . Thanks to Chas and Gordon for doing
bilge pump duty these past few weeks so the Sloop could stay afloat.

Hopefully I'll be able to say we're getting on the water SOON . . .

Skipper Schuy