[Sloop Scoop 2007] #7, September 1 - 13

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:15:51 -0600

The skipper surfaces . . .

We've actually been doing quite a bit of sailing, I just haven't sat down
to write a Sloop Scoop.  Right now I'm sitting at the computer with my foot
up after being stung between the toes on my right foot, which put a pause
in my sailing marathon of the past week.  Don't hesitate to write or call
if it's a gorgeous day and you want to know if I plan on sailing.  You
don't have to wait for a Sloop Scoop.

WHERE THE LAKE MEETS THE SKY WE'VE BEEN SAILING . . .
I'll update the Captain's log because there are a lot of sails to
log.  We've been out seven times since the last Sloop Scoop (granted with a
two week storm hiatus in between . . . ) and that's a lot to put in a
letter.  I'll also try to get some pictures up for the folks not on Facebook.

The highlights:  The return of the Vangpire, who remarked that the rips on
the sail cover strip on the jib made us look more like a pirate ship, the
return of Dan & family--who always bring gorgeous weather with them, a
clear night for a meteor shower cruise (I saw several, Jenny Rotten saw the
sky light up but somehow missed the meteor, Chas finally saw one and Jenny
Rotten challenged "Prove it!"), our first crotch cleat (we usually just
have foot cleats and butt cleats), Skipper Schuy's first time sailing the
Sloop solo with full sail (just after sunrise . . . "Sunshine on the water,
looks so loovelyyyy . . " playing sappily on the stereo), gorgeous day
after gorgeous day, and gorgeous night after gorgeous night, stunning
orange-splashed clouds at sunset, eerie salmon-colored moonrises, body
surfing behind the boat, sailing along sunglades and moonglades on the
water, calm seas and frisky seas that "make you feel like you're really
sailing," good food, new and old music (we once again have a working
stereo--this time with a CD player and hookups for iPods and other
auxiliary devices), and seeing old friends and continuing to make new ones.

LET'S GO SAILING
Although Labor Day may mean the end of the "summer" for most folks, it's
not the end of sailing season by far.  September and early October are
actually my favorite times to sail.  There's something special about the
light, the slight briskness of a breeze, the clarity of the skies as the
humidity drops, and the psychological lengthening of summer as long as the
boat's in the water.

For those of you who do think the summer ends with Labor Day, I've tried to
accomodate folks by trying to sail the entire Labor Day weekend.  I've
sailed Friday and Saturday, and am trying to get out today and
Monday.  There's room this weekend and Wednesday night and next weekend and
. . .

Experience the season. Get out here with us!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
  http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

----------------------
SCHEDULE (the usual weather/crew caveats apply . . .)

___Sunday 9/2
Afternoon cruise. Call me for details.

___Monday 9/3
Possible double header!
Morning cruise. Meet at the harbor at 10:00.
Possible afternoon cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1500 hours.

___Wednesday 9/5
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1900 hours.  Food is available at
the harbor starting at 1700 hours, or bring your own.

___Saturday 9/8
We will sail.  Time TBA--suggest a time you can go!

___Sunday 9/9
Afternoon cruise. Meet at the harbor at 1500 hours.

___Tuesday 9/11
Morning cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 0930 hours.

___Wednesday 9/12
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1900 hours.  Food is available at
the harbor starting at 1700 hours, or bring your own.

___Thursday 9/13
Possible make-up evening cruise (if we DON'T go out on Wednesday).  Meet at
the harbor at 1900 hours.

ON THE HORIZON

Full day cruise on Saturday or Sunday at the end of September

Sunrise cruise on a Saturday or Sunday now that sunrise is after 0600
hours!  Let me know if you'll get up in the morning.