[Sloop Scoop 2007] #1, June 20 - July 1

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:28:13 -0600

The skipper surfaces . . .

**First things first--if anyone is available to help step the mast this
Thursday 6/21 late afternoon (1600 hours (4 pm) or so), let me know.  Let
me know even if you can be there a little later like 4:30 or 5:00 or even
5:30)  If we can get it done sooner than next week then we can actually
sail next week.**

The boat's been in the water almost a month.  Thanks to Gordon, the bottom
got painted, but that was all the work that got done before we
launched.  People have been busy and I was busy so we didn't get any spring
commissioning work done.  I hope more people are available to sail than
were available to work!

Paul came on the trip up the river with me and it was EVENTFUL. It started
off a little later with some missed communication with meeting at the
boatyard.  So I was in the water before we could do a bunch of stuff I
needed to do before they could even let me out of the sling.  But I did get
the engine started right away, and I figured that was a good omen.  We
backed out of the slip, turned, and promptly got stuck on a
sand/mudbar.  Gordon towed us off on the second try (the line wasn't
cleated well on the first try) and when we got off the bar I went into
forward gear and the engine died.  It started, went into reverse and idled
like a charm, so I slipped it into forward and the engine died.  Meanwhile
they got Al's boat in the water and he pulled out and he and Gordon had to
motor around waiting to see if we could get started.  The boatyard sent
some guys out on some makeshift African Queen raft and no plan to try to
push us sideways and nudge us back into the well. . . eventually we got
there.  Rob, the engine god, hopped on, looked at the engine and, he
swears, did little more than touch it; and when we put it in forward it
engaged and the engine didn't die.  He shrugged his shoulders.  Every year
he had to help get the engine started and this year it started without him
. . . but the Sloop obviously needs her engine touched by Rob so next year
he'll bless the engine for us even it does start without him.

That would be nice if that was the end, but it died again right before the
locks.  It started again and was fine as we headed out of the locks but one
of the neighboring boats got caught in the eddy when they let in the higher
water and was swinging it's stern, complete with the mast sitting
horizontally, right into us.  Paul and I pushed the mast out of our way and
the I tried to get into forward to get out of there and the engine died
again . . .  then it started and was fine for the next three hours to the
harbor and every other time since.  I need to adjust the shifter and the
idle cables to make it work optimally, but I know I can always motor home
in reverse!

We had to get new stuff this year that we needed before we could raise the
mast.  We have a new forestay (the front cable that helps hold up the mast
and the jib) and a new wind instrument.  I haven't known the wind speed and
direction for two years and it was bothering me.  I'm also going to spring
for an autopilot this year.  I don't have a lot of crew available to
help--they keep getting lives or their own boats!  At least with an
autopilot I can take the boat out by myself. and help train new crew like
all of my former students who I've promised to take out sailing.

We were going to step the mast on Sunday but it was too hot, there was a
long line, and the spreaders needed another coat of varnish.  So, the mast
still needs to be stepped.  I'll be out of town this weekend so I can't
step the mast then, and if I can't get it stepped this week I hope to get
the mast stepped the middle of next week, hopefully Thursday (6/28), and
then get the boat rigged--which is a great learning experience) and the we
can have a shakedown sail on Friday and/or Sunday.  A later start then
usual, especially since I'm really busy with work for three weeks in July,
but better late than never.  There are other things to do before then, so
if anyone is free on Wednesday or Thursday evening this week to help, let
me know!

I'll send out another Sloop Scoop once the mast is stepped and give sailing
dates. Sailing is essentially first come first served, except for allowing
space for crew or special events.  You are welcome to bring friends if we
have the room.  The general information (what to do and bring) and
directions to the harbor (long-winded but interesting and accurate) can be
found on the Sloop Scoop site at
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

Hope to see you on the water soon and often!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
----------------------
SCHEDULE (a lot of really tentative dates, many things permitting . . .)

___Wednesday 6/20
Get boat ready for mast stepping, sailing. Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.

___Thursday 6/21
Tentative Mast stepping!!!!  Meet at the harbor at 1600 hours.  We'll need
help rigging the boat later than that so if you can't get by until later
come anyway to help.

___Monday 6/25
Tentative fitting and tuning time and shakedown sail.  Meet at the harbor
at 1830 hours.

___Thursday 6/28
Backup date for mast stepping. Meet at the harbor at 1600 hours.  We'll
need help rigging the boat later than that so if you can't get by until
later come anyway to help.

or

if the mast is stepped we'll sail, and we can meet at the harbor at 17:30 hours

___Friday 6/29
Fitting and tuning time and shakedown sail if the mast is stepped on the
28th,  and a possible sail if it was stepped earlier. Meet at the harbor at
1830 hours.

___Sunday 7/01
Midday sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.  Bring something to grill
and something to share.

ON THE HORIZON

Fireworks, July 3rd  We won't go all the way downtown--probably just
halfway there to stay out of traffic. Last year my pirate crew wanted to
try to board the Windy and I didn't let them so I have to keep them away
from temptation.

Wednesday and Saturday fireworks cruises

Longer cruise/crossing in August