[Sloop Scoop 2007] #5, August 1 - 15

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:00:48 -0600

Crew and Cruisers--

***SAILING ALERT:  Theres space for tonight (Wednesday) 1830 hours.  Let me
know ASAP by PHONE (773-343-0153) if you want to come. I won't be back on
e-mail after about 1130 hours today.***

We've had some glorious sailing in a mix of conditions over the past few
weeks.  We did have to cancel a couple of sails due to potential (one of
which did become actual) thunderstorms, but we've made up for it in the
past week-and-a-half and hope for more!

I figure you're all hot and looking for some relief in the next few days,
so check the schedule and let me know when to include you.

REQUIEM FOR A TREO/SAILTHERAPY
Our July 11th call started off badly.  My phone got stolen from the yacht
club.  It turns out people did try to use it but the police said they
weren't going to investigate.  It was most likely a kid because they used
the phone before I cut if off, then they kept trying 10 times to use the
phone the night and morning after I cut it off--even though they were
routed to customer service each time and were told they wouldn't turn the
phone back on for them.  Adults would know better.  So painfully, despite
not working, I had to replace it and am now rewired.

The silver lining, though, was that I was re-reminded of the healing power
of sailing.  One of the sailors at the club, who had loaned me his phone to
call T-mobile, told me to go out and enjoy myself and I said "I'm
depressed; I don't want to go."  He told me "No--you're going--don't let
them take that away from you, too."   Chas, his brother and friend, and
Marie had been patiently waiting and I agreed to go--and it was a great
night.  The winds were fluky, moderate to strong, with some waves.  We saw
a beautiful sunset complete with red-washed clouds and the Vangpire's
"Jesus rays." Chas took a couple of pictures of me that showed me actually
happy and relaxed.  I'll get some up on the site.  When I got back I left a
message thanking that sailor (I think his name was Reggie) for making be go.

SHAHARAZAD SHINES
Now calibrated with a few nautical miles under her belt, Shaharazad (Zadie)
has been on duty now for two weeks.  I still keep pressing the wrong
buttons now and then, and during one main dropping I had to remember, as I
blissfully concentrated on flaking the sail with Zadie on the helm, that an
autopilot is blind and someone needs to watch for traffic!  There was none,
that day, but still . . .

She holds a wind angle course, a GPS waypoint course, and a compass course
well.  She can't make big changes, so I have to take over on occasion.  G
rigged up a nice little resting spot for her to be put away and, as my
friend Deb commented after one sail, the autopilot is TOTALLY worth every
$$$$$$.

FINE TUNING
The break from work coupled with Gordon's retirement has meant that a lot
of things on the Sloop have received attention that has been lacking for a
couple of years.  I did a tune-up on the engine, tearing up my fingers as
usual trying to get the wires off the plugs and having a tad of an issue
setting the gaps on the points because we couldn't figure out how to hand
crank the engine w/o the necessary tools.  We ended up bumping it enough
trying to start it to get plugs in the right position, but in the meantime
had to jump ship to Isle Marie to sail because I didn't get the engine
tuned in time.  Mary, Labeeba and I got to help Gordon fly his spinnaker
and that's always a nice treat.  Now I want to fly mine!

Today we'll put in the carpet and the cushions and it will start feeling
like home again.  We hope to do a short cruise between August 8/9 and the
13/14 --I'm still sorting it out, and I want the boat comfy and clean for that

A GROWING CREW
The Sloop is thrilled with her new crew folks, with Chas and Jenny Rotten
logging in a lot of hours and Labeeba, Derrick, and Andrea learning what
they can.  These bright young folks are quick to learn, retain information
well (well at least if it's not a knot) and are proactive.  Chas and Marie
have logged in some helm time, with Chas getting the baptism by fire of
having to steer by wind angle with no point on the horizon the help!  Along
with Shaharazad they have made sailing much less stressful for me.  Anyone
who's been out knows how much work it is and the less I have to keep track
of, the better.  I hope to have a few more aggressive training sails to
keep things interesting, and if you want to learn, please come out.  With
Zadie and crew I have much more freedom to teach.

It's also been great to get out the Sloops earlier crew folks--Thomas and
Mary and Deb and Leo and hopefully soon we'll get Laura and Nana and Kim
out.  The Sloop misses all her old friends, so please try to join us soon.

. . . AND FINALLY, SAILING!
Tonight, this weekend, next week, and a lake crossing cruise at the end of
next week and weekend.

I will be gone from the 17 - 20 August, so no AIR and WATER show this
year--sorry!

Sail early, sail often . . .

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
  http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm
(what to do and bring, directions to the harbor, old pictures, and soon a
current captain's log and new pictures)
----------------------
SCHEDULE (the usual weather/crew caveats apply . . .)

___Wednesday 8/1
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  There is food to buy at
the harbor, so you may want to come earlier (any time after 1700 hours) to
get something to eat.  We should be back no later than 2130 hours.

___Saturday 8/4
Late afternoon cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1500 hours.  We'll probably
get in around 1800 hours, maybe later.

___Sunday 8/5
Late morning cruise. Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.  Bring something to
grill and something to share and a swimsuit.  We'll probably get in around
1500 hours, maybe sooner.

___Tuesday 8/7
Private Morning cruise for Thomas' coworkers.

___Wednesday 8/8
Tentative Evening cruise (if we haven't crossed the lake yet)  Meet at the
harbor at 1830 hours.  Bring food for dinner or buy it at the harbor (any
time after 1700 hours).  We should be back no later than 2130 hours.

___Wednesday 8/8 or Thursday 8/9 through Sunday/Monday/Tuesday--still up in
the air!
Lake crossing cruise.  Let me know if you want to come.  We may need to do
a crew swap over in Michigan.

The Perseid meteor shower will be during this time so you'll have sail over
with us to catch it!

___Wednesday 8/15
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  Food is available at
the harbor starting at 1700 hours, or bring your own.  We should be back no
later than 2130 hours.

ON THE HORIZON

Wednesday and Saturday fireworks cruises

A race or two if anyone wants to crew