[Sloop Scoop 2006] #7, September 20 -- October 2

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:23:15 -0500

Cruisers and crew--

No takers for a perfect Thursday night, but Thomas and I made up for it
with a perfect sail at sunrise on Friday morning.  He left around 0800
hours and Gordon joined me a half hour later and we headed out on the lake
until noon.  It was wonderful having someone on board who loves trim sails
and kept tweaking the lines until the Sloop would go as fast as she could
go.  The Sloop loved the extra attention.

Saturday was alternately wonderful, with strong breezes from the south and
Laura the Vangpire and Thomas got some practice with helming and crewing in
heavy air.  Laura had a great run on the helm--you could feel the boat in a
wonderful groove in the water, and the music of the wake of the boat at 6
knots was a treat.   I tell you again:  fall sailing is the best sailing
there is.

After the sail Laura and I went to the commodore's cup party at the yacht
club.  Laura blessed the crowd with keyboards, vocals and life, and I spent
most of the evening on the mike, dancing, and otherwise impromptu
entertainment.  It was an open mike with a keyboard player and we covered
Gershwin, the 60s, the 70s, gospel music, folk music, rock and disco (first
time I've ever had a mike for "I will survive").  I haven't had that much
fun in so long, and it felt great to be performing again.  It took a while
for me to come down enough to go to sleep.  (And for those who may be
wondering, the only thing Laura and I had to drink was water.)

This week looks pretty breezy with a possible window of sailability on
Wednesday night.  I'm open to trying to sail Friday during the day, Friday
night and/or both weekend days to catch whatever good conditions we
can.  We'll have one weekend and then part of a weekend after that; most
likely the mast will come down on the 8th or late on the 7th of October.

General information (what to do and bring) and directions to the harbor
(long-winded but interesting and accurate) can be found on the Sloop Scoop
site at
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

Hope to see you on the water this season!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa
Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
----------------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Wednesday 9/20
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.

___Friday 9/22
Morning cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 0930 hours.
and/or
Possible evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1900 hours

___Saturday 9/23
Midday cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1300 hours.

___Sunday 9/24
Morning cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours.

___Wednesday 9/27
Weekday evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.

___Friday 9/30
Evening cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  We'll leave the dock
around 1900 hours

___Saturday 10/1
Morning cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.

___Sunday 10/2
Afternoon cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1400 hours.

ON THE HORIZON
Mast dropping and river trip