[Sloop Scoop 2006] #1, May 22 - June 3

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Mon, 22 May 2006 12:56:23 -0500

Ahoy wind and water would-be worshippers--

Last year, summer began in July.  This year it begins for us in May.  After
a whirlwind week of working in the boatyard (I had a one-week break between
terms), and the help of Gordon, Mary, and Thomas, the Sloop was prepared
for launch in record time.  On Saturday the Sloop had a beautiful
UNEVENTFUL trip up the river and is resting happily in the harbor.  The
(river) locks were open when we reached them, we had only a couple bad
rolls from powerboat wakes, and even though we forgot to check the gas
before we left it was enough to get us to the harbor!   Even being slowed
behind an oreboat for the last mile of the river, the trip was still under
three hours.  All of which portends a great season.  The sloop likes her
new crew-friend Mary who showed herself to be a calm and fearless and fast
learner on the river trip.  It was a nice short off-season--out in October,
in in May--a welcome complement to her extended winter last year.

On Sunday Skipper Schuy abandoned the Sloop for the Cubs-Sox game, which
was a good game for both teams, and the only game of the series (and I
think one of pitifully few this season!) where a lifelong Cub fan could
find moments worth celebrating!  I was the guest of my friend Carl, a
lifelong Sox fan, and after the game I noticed many pairs and groups and
families with mixed jerseys and colors walking amicably back to cars.  I
thought "baseball is such a civilized game;" even the day after the brawl
(for which the Cubs rightly get the blame) mixed fans could enjoy the game
and each others' company.  There were a few blowhards on both sides, but
really very few.  A baseball game

Sailing is also civilized--out in fresh air, the ending time always
ultimately unknown.  One kid behind us asked his dad "When will the game be
over?"  In baseball, the only answer is "after the last out."  In sailing,
it's when we get back to the harbor.  Of course an engine makes those times
somewhat estimable, unlike relying solely on sailing, but I guess what I'm
saying is that they both are about the event, not time.  And I like that
freedom.

Philosophy aside, we're in the water.  And since we hurried to get in we
have some postponed work on top of usual work to do, and then some sailing
to do.  If anyone's free this week either in the day or after work, we have
cleaning and other prep and repair work to do.  I'd like to put the mast up
on Friday.  Is anyone available to help Friday morning, starting around
0930 hours?  That's my first choice.  Second choice is Friday afternoon,
around 1500 hours.  It's a great time to learn how the boat is rigged, so
when I ask you to trim the vang you can say "Hey, I know what that is!"

If we get rigged we can do the shakedown sail this weekend.  It's always
nice to sail before Memorial Day.  I'd like to sail Saturday morning, since
my crew needs to be back up north before 1400 hours, and again on
Monday--maybe more lunchtime-y so we can also inaugurate the grill for the
year.  Sunday afternoon is also a possibility.  Right now I'm throwing out
all dates and see where the  available crew and cruisers fall.

Next week we can try for an evening sail.  Wednesday's the typical
day.  I'd like to have a standing weekday sailing date, but people in my
life tend to not have standing schedules for very long, so we'll see if
that happens!

Sailing is essentially first come first served, except for allowing space
for crew or special events.  You are welcome to bring friends if we have
the room.  The general information (what to do and bring) and directions to
the harbor (long-winded but interesting and accurate) can be found on the
Sloop Scoop site at
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

Check in and let me know that you're still and interested in sailing.  If
you know anyone who really wants to learn to sail and become more regular
crew, let me know.  More crew = more sailing opportunities (gotta get some
math in there).

Hope to see you on the water soon and often!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
----------------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Friday 5/26
Mast stepping!!!!  Meet at the harbor at 0930 hours, (or 1500 hours - I'll
let you know!)

___Saturday 5/27
Rain/not-quite-ready date for Mast stepping, or fitting and tuning time and
shakedown sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours.

___Sunday 5/28
Tentative shakedown or post-shakedown sail, depending on interest.  Meet at
the harbor at 1400 hours.

___Monday 5/29
Memorial Day lunch cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1200 hours.  Bring
something to grill and something to share.

___Wednesday 5/31
Midday sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1030 hours.

___Saturday 6/3
Tentative afternoon sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1300 hours.

ON THE HORIZON

As much sailing as we can get in
Possibly a sloop 33rd birthday/10th adoption day party (more sea shanties!)