[Sloop Scoop 2005] #3, August 9 - 25

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:10:57 -0500

Hey sailors--

The boat is settling in for the summer.  We had a nice sail last Saturday,
just Thomas, his friend Bryce (Brice?) and I.  We grilled salmon and
vegetables and sailed out around one of the navigation marks south east of
the water crib.  We had to cancel the cruises during the week because of
weather (pretty heavy winds all week) but the weekend settled down.

I spent the night on the boat Saturday night after spending the day working
on it, and then I went on a sunrise cruise on Gordon's boat.  I figured
that would give me a little more sleep but having Isle Marie motor by and
ask me if I was up at 0445 was still earlier than I'd have liked.  It was a
nice sunrise, the lake was flat and the wind was light to non-existent at
times.

I expected the same when Igor, the vangpire (Laura), Arleigh and I went out
later on Sunday, but the wind had picked up, switched to the east, and bred
whitecaps.  Since we were out there we set sail anyway, and the boat felt
really good even if the skipper was still preferring lighter winds and flat
seas.  The boat can almost sail itself between 8 and 13 knots of apparent
wind, and if I had been a little pickier about sail trim she would have
done just that.  We sailed up towards downtown and back and headed in early
since we were hungry and it was a little rough for the grill out on the
lake.  We lit the grill in the harbor and enjoyed Arleigh's wine and Copper
River Salmon and Igor's hot Thai salad--that most of us could only take as
garnish--and chicken (for some).  Even sitting out on the boat at the
mooring is nice.

I changed the schedule this week to go out on Thursday instead of Tuesday
since Thursday is the Perseid meteor shower.  Hopefully we'll defy the odds
and have a nice clear night.  We'll leave a little late since we'll stay
out later to actually see the meteor shower at the front end of it's
peak.  We should be in by midnight.

The next Wednesday night will be a later night, too, since we'll try to
catch the fireworks.  We should be home that night by 2300 hours.

The air and water show cruise is filling up.  If you already told me you
wanted to go then you are on it, if not, I may have room for one or
two.  Let me know and I'll get back to you.

I will be teaching at Columbia full-time this year, which is good, but that
means I have to start on August 16th, two weeks before classes begin, so
there won't be a lot of daytime sailing during the week.  My last hurrah
for a weekday morning sail may be Tuesday, August 23rd since I have a
faculty retreat that night and may be able to get out that morning.  I have
it scheduled as tentative.  That week the night sail will be on Thursday
night since I won't be in town on Wednesday.

For general information (what to do and bring) and directions to the harbor
go to
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/index.htm

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
E-mail:  sloopscoop@jewellgems.com

----------------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Thursday 8/11
Evening Perseid meteor shower sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1930
hours.  We'll be leaving the dock around 2000 hours.  We should be back in
around 0000-0030 hours.

___Saturday 8/13
Lunchtime cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 1100 hours.

___Sunday 8/14
Tentative sail (if we don't sail on Saturday, and maybe even if we
do).  Meet at the harbor at 1300 hours.

___Wednesday 8/17
Evening Fireworks sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  We'll be
leaving the dock around 1900 hours.

___Saturday 8/20
Air and Water show cruise.  Meet at the harbor at 0900 so we can get up
north in time to see the planes!  Bring something to grill, something to
share and a lot of water!  It's a long day.

___Sunday 8/21
Rain date for Air and Water show cruise.  We'll only go if we don't get to
go on Saturday.  Same details as above.

___Tuesday 8/23
Tentative morning sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours.  We'll be in by
1300 hours (since I have to drive to Lake Geneva and get there by 4:00 pm
(since it's a land thing I can use land time)).

___Thursday 8/25
Evening sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1830 hours.  We'll be leaving the dock
around 1900 hours.  We should be back in around 2200 hours.