[Sloop Scoop 2004] #11, September 28-October 9

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:58:28 -0500

Sorry to abandon you for so long . . .

. . .but no news in this case has meant bad news.  Our trip to Wisconsin
lasted only a day due to a broken spreader.  We figured we could still
salvage the season by getting the spreaders removed and replaced, so we
rushed to do that.  We finally got the spreaders back last week (several
days after expected & at a cost of $650), and I went up to put them on the
mast on Thursday and . . . they didn't fit. The person responsible for the
project at the yacht yard then had the nerve to be snotty on the phone
about their mistake, and I've been waiting since Thursday to hear back from
customer service as to what they will do for me.

Meanwhile, I'm back teaching, the weather's getting worse and there's too
little season left to try to save.  Sooo, this past Sunday we gave up and
took the mast down.  Thanks to Gordon, Sailor Mike, Thomas and Jessica (and
of course Gloria the gin pole genius) for their help with building the
braces to hold the mast on deck (yours truly had to give up after smashing
her third finger instead of a nail).  It has been discouraging to have an
unsailable sailboat for the best weather of the entire season!  But I'm
pulling myself together looking forward to winter (and non boat pursuits so
let me know if there's anything fun I can join you for) and a chance to
start over again next season!

So all that's left for this season is to help Gordon get his mast down this
Saturday, get the boat up the river to drydock, fix what we can fix,
winterize the engine and cover it up (all of which I still need crew
for).  The river trip is set for the morning of either next Tuesday or
Friday or Saturday (October 5th, 6th or 9th)--we'll go at the first weather
window.  It's a great trip, so let me know if you'd like to go.  There is a
possibility that we may not get a chance until the Saturday, so if you're
only available on weekends, still let me know.

Sorry I'm not my usual upbeat, babbling self, but I'm tired.  Hope to see
some of you for the decommissioning, and others during the off-season (so
keep in touch), and most of you next summer!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa
Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
E-mail:  sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
----------------------
SCHEDULE (many things permitting . . .)

___Saturday 10/2
Help Gordon with his mast and get the Sloop pumped out, gassed up and ready
for the river trip.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours (possibly earlier).

___Tuesday 10/5
Tentative river trip.  Meet at the harbor at 0800 hours.

___Friday 10/8
First weather date for river trip.  Meet at the harbor at 0800 hours.

___Saturday 10/9
Second weather date for river trip.  Meet at the harbor at 0800 hours.

ON THE HORIZON

Fall Decommissioning
Winter
DIRECTIONS to the HARBOR
--Driving, bus, "L" and bus, Metra, bike/in-line skates/walking
-----
Driving directions
The address is 6400 S. Promontory Drive in case you want to put it in
Mapquest or Yahoo! maps. It's at the south end of Lake Shore Drive, by
LaRabida Children's hospital.

***2004 NOTE: CONSTRUCTION ON SOUTH LAKE SHORE DRIVE (the lanes will be
limited and will get detoured. I'll try to update this through the summer
as it happens.)***
Get on Lake Shore Drive going south (you're on your own for that part!).
Take Lake Shore Drive until it ends.  It ends about a mile south of the
Museum of Science and Industry, and there is actually a sign that says
"Lake Shore Drive Ends."  Be sure to get and stay in the left hand lane
once you pass the museum.  Turn left, following the signs for US
41.  You'll be curving around the harbor on your left. Stay in the left
hand lane which becomes a turning lane which turns into La Rabida
Children's Hospital (There's actually a light there now). Take this left
and at the fork bear left and continue on the road straight past La Rabida
(eventually on your right) and look for parking. The yacht club is on your
left. There will be a gate that looks locked but it isn't; you can still
open it. If you park closer to the parking lot entrance, walk down the
parking lot ramp.

 From the south:
Get to 6700 South any way you can (Bishop Ford freeway to Stony Island exit
and North to 67th and Stony, Dan Ryan to 69th street exit and east to Stony
Island and then north to 67th Street, call for other options) and head east
to Jeffery Blvd. There is a park/golf course on the left, a gas station on
the right, and a light. Turn left at the light and get into the right lane
immediately. Take the first right (US 41). After the turn, you'll see the
harbor on your left. Get in the left hand lane which becomes a turning lane
which turns into La Rabida Children's Hospital (There's actually a light
there now). Take this left and at the fork bear left and continue on the
road straight past La Rabida (eventually on your right) and look for
parking. The yacht club is on your left. There will be a gate that looks
locked but it isn't; you can still open it. If you park closer to the
parking lot entrance, walk down the parking lot ramp.

--------------------
Bicycle, in-line skates, walking from the north:
The construction affecting the bike path is done!  Take the bike path
south.  You'll know you're close when you pass the Museum of Science and
Industry and then the large beach house for 63rd street beach.  The harbor
is just south and east of the beach house.  Continue south, turn left with
the path as it continues around the south end of the harbor and when you
reach the first street, with the sign for La Rabida Children's hospital,
turn left onto the street.  The road goes uphill (this is relative, it's
Chicago) and at the fork bear left around the harbor.  Take the road to the
end and come down the parking lot ramp. Bring a cable lock if you have one;
there is a bike rack to the left, beyond the small white ice house, between
the mast rack and the dinghy rack.
--------------
Public transportation:

Bus:
Get downtown (again, you're on your own), and you have a few options:

Take the #6 bus (Jackson Park Express it runs south down State Street
between Lake and Congress, and then runs down Michigan to Balbo and turns
at Balbo to get on Lake Shore Drive) to 67th and South Shore Drive.  Cross
the street to the lake and walk along the sidewalk/bike path north until
you reach the first street on your right. There will be a sign for La
Rabida hospital. Turn right and head uphill (this is Chicago, so this
uphill stuff is relative) and bear around to the left when it forks. Walk
until you see the gate to the Yacht Club (on the left hand side of the
street). It looks locked, but it's not. Come on down!

Better yet, if it's a weekday, take the #14 (Jeffery Express) (gotta call
the CTA for this route but it's on State or Michigan for part of it's
route)--to 67th and Jeffery. There is a golf course to the north and two
gas stations on either side of the street to the south. From there you have
two options: walk or another bus.
*Walk east across Jeffery and then north across 67th street and the golf
course to the end of Lake Shore Drive. You'll see the sailboat harbor on
your right (there's a powerboat harbor on the left. You don't want to go
there. Cross the street (I suggest with the light, here!) and you'll end up
on the bike path. Take the path east (turn right when you get across the
street) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!
*Take the #67 bus east. *Every other* #67 goes to LaRabida, so ask the
driver if he is going there. Take the bus to La Rabida, and you'll see the
harbor on your left. Walk to the gate (which looks locked but isn't) and
come on down!

Again if it's a weekday, take the #28 Stony Island Express (again check the
CTA for where to wait downtown) to 67th street and take the #67 bus east
(see rest of directions in previous paragraph).

"L" train & bus
Take the Red Line (Dan Ryan/Howard) to 67th street
or take the 67 (67th street) bus to the end of the line (every other 67th
street bus goes to La Rabida and hence the harbor). You'll see the harbor
on your left. Walk to the gate (which looks locked but isn't) and come on
down! (If you don't want to wait for the La Rabida 67, take any 67 to 67th
and Jeffery and follow the directions for walking from 67th and Jeffery above).
OR . . . (if the green line is more convenient for you)
ON WEEKENDS DURING THE SUMMER ONLY--Take the green line (the branch that
turns *east*, not the one that turns west--it's every other train) to the
end of the line at 63rd and University. Take the 63rd street bus east to
the end of the line--that will be the beach at 63rd. You'll see the harbor
to the south. Walk along the bike path until turns to the left (at the end
of Lake Shore Drive). Take the path east (the harbor will still be on your
left) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!

Metra
Take the "Metra Electric District South Shore Branch" (NOT the "South Shore
Line", which is a different animal) train from either the Randolph, Van
Buren, or 12th Street stop on Michigan Avenue stations. You
have two choices. You can get off at the "Bryn Mawr" stop (at 71st and
Jeffery, named after Bryn Mawr school--which was my grammar school (and
which has since been renamed) -- just down the block) or the "South Shore"
stop (71st and South Shore Drive, across from the South Shore Country
Club). The Bryn Mawr stop is slightly closer, the South Shore stop is a
nicer walk along the lake.
--From Bryn Mawr stop, walk north (the tracks run east/west at that point,
so if you face the direction the train was headed in and turn 90 degrees to
your left, that will be north) along the right hand side of the street
through the next light (67th street) and along the park/golf course until
you reach south end of Lake Shore Drive. You'll see the sailboat harbor on
your right (there's a powerboat harbor on the left. You don't want to go
there). Cross the street (I suggest with the light, here!) and you'll end
up on the bike path. Take the path east (turn right when you get across the
street) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!
--From South Shore stop, cross the street to the north to reach the
entrance of the country club. Follow the sidewalk/bike path north and west
along the country club golf course and the lake and the park and parking
lot until you reach the first street on your right. There will be a sign