[Sloop Scoop pre-season 2004] #2, April 21 - May 2

Schuy Jewell schuy@jewellgems.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:13:42 -0500

Cruisers and Crew--

The spring weather has been holding, we're moving along with spring
commissioning.  I was down at the yard last Saturday, Monday and Wednesday
afternoon, and this past Friday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, Sunday and
Monday, and my feet are already sporting a discernable Teva tan!  Thanks to
Eric and Igor and, as always, Sailor Mike for helping out these past two
weeks with electrical, engine, rigging and caulking tasks. Thanks to Rick,
too, for electronics consulting--we now have both the VHF radio and the
AM/FM tape deck working with the speakers!

You can keep track of our progress by checking the work list at
http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/SloopSpring2004Commissioning.doc
You can also look and see what job you'd like to do (or may have already
been delegated : )  ).  The more help we get now the sooner we'll be in the
water.  Knock on teak, if we can keep up this pace we may be in in record
time this Spring--possibly before May 15th (as long as Isle Marie is ready
to head up the river with us).

A couple of people have already notified me of availability for this
weekend.  Right now I plan to be at the boat around noon on Saturday.  If I
have volunteers I'll go late morning Sunday and sometime on Monday.  For
the following weekend, I plan to work around a rich cultural
schedule.  I'll work on May 1st from about noon until 4:00 pm, and skedadle
home to get ready to go to see Urban Bush Women perform at Columbia.  I'm
also going to see "Proof" at the Goodman (being a Hyde Park denizen and
all) on May 2nd, so I won't be down on Sunday, but I could go down again on
Monday, or on Tuesday morning.

Again, the exciting (and simultaneously growing and shrinking) list of
tasks includes sewing, cleaning, building, drilling, grinding, cutting,
caulking, sanding, oiling, painting  on materials ranging from rope to
cloth to wood to fiberglass to aluminum to stainless steel . . . .

Don't miss your chance to see what the bottom of the boat looks like!  The
boatyard directions are at the end of this post.

Now I'm off to let the rain lull me to sleep.

Skipper Schuy/Lisa
Land:  773-752-6266, Cell:  773-343-0153
E-mail:  sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
----
DIRECTIONS (driving) to the boatyard
The boat's located at Croissant Marina, approximately S. 142nd St. , just
east of Torrence Avenue, in the fenced part of the yard.  I usually take
the Dan Ryan to the Bishop Ford (used to be Calumet Expy)--the left fork at
the end of the Dan Ryan (to stay on I-94, vs. the right fork, which is
I-57).  I get off at the Dalton exit going east, take Dalton to Torrence
(at that point Dalton has become State street), where there is a stoplight
(I haven't counted stoplights to that point yet, but it's about a mile from
the expressway).  Turn left (north) at Torrence and go over the bridge and
take your first left at the bottom of the bridge (there should be a sign
there for the Waterfront Pub).  Take that street (I think it's 143rd) until
it hits the gravel lot and bear right around the fenced section.  There's a
lot by the Waterfront Pub, which will be on your left, or you can park
along the fence (ther are too many boats right now to pull your car in any
further)  Walk east (the direction you were driving in the yard) until the
opening and turn right into the yard and follow the line of boats along the
fence.  The stern is facing the road, so you should be able to see the
Sloop's location when you're coming in.