[Sloop Scoop 2002] #10, September 5 - 15

Sloop John B sloopscoop@jewellgems.com
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:44:22 -0500

Yes, I'm alive--

. . . but still tired and sore.  We had an amazing weekend.  The lake and
winds dished out quite a range of conditions and we survived them all--some
just barely.  We had a frustrating crossing to St. Joe's, but we saw a
beautiful sunset, stars, and a beautiful sunrise and we did finish--even if
it was four to five hours after most of the fleet.  We had a frustrating
second leg with no wind, and we didn't finish--but neither did any of the
other boats in our section.  The boat actually did very well in light air,
and kept up with faster company, but we just ran out of time.   We had a
wild and crazy ride (with no wind and lots of rain in the middle of it),
back to Chicago, and we placed third!  So it all ended well, the crew had
fun, the skipper was stressed but feels better now, the boat is well (we
know of at least a broken tiller, a snapped shroud, and a broken steering
cable on other boats) and the weather, if not the wind, was berry, berry
good to us.

Sorry I've been out of touch.  I was busy with race preparations, and I was
scheduled for jury duty so I didn't want to make any plans.  I don't have
jury duty after all, so now we can move on with the season.

We did do some work and some cruising and some racing since last I
wrote.  If you want to see the pictures or hear more stories of our
adventures go to

http://www.jewellgems.com/sloopscoop/

and take a look at the slide shows (there are quite a few, now!) and read
the Captain's log.  The log helps me keep this letter shorter (hopefully)
while still giving you folks an opportunity for details if you so desire to
read them!

Tentatively the boat will be in the water until the end of September, so
there will be more sailing time.  Unfortunately I have yet another memorial
service to attend on Saturday (a family friend), but that makes three in
the past month so I superstitiously think that will be it for a
while.  We'll be at the boat this afternoon (Thursday) and will be racing
on Sunday.  Sunday is the last race of the long distance series and we
currently are in second place for the series (even with three thirds), so
we want to see if we can hold that or at least third for the series.

I'll try to schedule another evening sail and some more weekend sails for
the 14th and 15th of September.  I'll be on a rafting trip on the 21st and
22nd, so no sailing for me that weekend.  I start teaching the week of the
22nd, so if we go out in the day or evening it would be on Monday or
Thursday. If we'll still be in the water for the weekend of the 28th/29th,
I'll let you know.

The summer's not over yet--really.  You still have time to sail with us!

Skipper Schuy/Lisa

------
SCHEDULE (weather permitting***, as usual . . . )

___Thursday 9/5
Work day to recover from the Tri State.  We'll be at the harbor at least
between 1330 hours and 1600 hours.  We may get a chance to sail later.

___Sunday 9/8
Last race of the long distance series.  Meet at the harbor at 0715 hours or
spend the night on the boat.  We'll try to pull away from the dock around 0740.

___Tuesday 9/10
Weekday sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours.  Bring a sandwich for lunch.

___Saturday 9/14
Morning sail.  Meet at the harbor at 1000 hours.  Bring a sandwich for lunch.

___Sunday 9/15
Afternoon sail, maybe dinner, maybe sunset.  Meet at the harbor at 1600 hours.

-------------------------
ON THE HORIZON

*cool, late summer/early autumn cruising

*dropping the mast

*river trip back to dry dock

*fall decommissioning work and sailboat lullaby

---------------
THE USUAL STUFF:  (this will be the same every week)

Let me know if you are interested in any of the times.  Sometimes I won't
go out since I don't have crew and later I find out someone showed up to
sail.

Try to give me a few hours if you have to cancel.  I really don't want to
leave people behind, so I tend to hang around, so let me know if you aren't
coming. I'll keep the cell phone on (and charged!) when I'm waiting for
crew.  If you can't get me on the cell phone, leave a message on my land line.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to bring food and/or things to drink.  Two
things to consider:  foods that can be eaten by hand are best (it's hard to
use utensils on a boat), glass (bottles or jars) and boats don't mix (glass
can break easily and boats often make sudden uncontrollable moves).  We can
always transfer wine into plastic containers.  If you are sailing during
the day, WATER is strongly encouraged in addition to anything else you may
want to drink.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to bring friends and family--including
kids (I do ask that you provide one adult for each kid under about 10 years
old.)  If you do want to bring guests, just check with me first so I don't
overload the boat.

It's always cooler on the lake.  I'd suggest a jacket for most
nights.  Light colored rubber soled shoes (preferably with some traction)
are best (for you and the boat)>  Non-skidmarking dark soled sailing shoes
and sandals are fine, but most street shoes with dark soles will leave marks.

A swimming suit *and a towel* are good to have, too.  We don't always jump
in, but it's nice to have the option.  Of course you have the option
without the suit, too--there are precedents for fully clothed and barely
clothed water babies.

***"weather permitting" in general means . . . No active thunderstorms on
radar or announced on weather radio or visible in the sky, winds less than
20 knots (especially if the winds are from the NE), waves less than three
feet, temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit.  There are
exceptions--skilled sailors may go out for a wild ride, and if there are
kids or first-time sailors, the winds and wave limits will be much
lower.  We also may leave in "permitted" weather and find ourselves in
"unpermitted" weather, which we will deal with accordingly.

--------------
DIRECTIONS--Driving, bus, "L" and bus, Metra, bike/in-line skates/walking
-----
Driving directions
The address is 6400 S. Promontory Drive in case you want to put it in
Mapquest or Yahoo! maps. It's at the south end of Lake Shore Drive, by
LaRabida Children's hospital.
 From the north:
***2002 NOTE: CONSTRUCTION ON SOUTH LAKE SHORE DRIVE (the lanes will be
limited and you may get detoured at times. I'll try to update this through
the summer as it happens.)***
Get on Lake Shore Drive going south (you're on your own for that part!).
Take Lake Shore Drive until it ends--a sign actually will say LAKE SHORE
DRIVE ENDS about a quarter of a mile before it happens. There will be a
stop light and signs showing you could go straight (Jeffery Blvd) or turn
left (US 41). You'll see the harbor on your left. You want to take the left
turn-- following the harbor around, and then take the first left (there
will be sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital). When that road (Promontory
Drive) forks--take a left fork (again following the harbor around). The
hospital will be on your right and there is a lot of construction so there
is no parking on the right side of the street for most of that block. The
yacht club is on your left. There will be a gate that looks locked but it
isn't; you can still open it. If you park closer to the parking lot
entrance, walk down the parking lot ramp.
 From the south:
Get to 6700 South any way you can (Bishop Ford freeway to Stony Island exit
and North to 67th and Stony, Dan Ryan to 69th street exit and east to Stony
Island and then north to 67th Street, call for other options) and head east
to Jeffery Blvd. There is a park/golf course on the left, a gas station on
the right, and a light. Turn left at the light and get into the right lane
immediately. Take the first right (US 41). After the turn, you'll see the
harbor on your left. Follow the harbor and take the first left (there will
be sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital). When that road (Promontory
Drive) forks--take a left fork (again following the harbor around). The
hospital will be on your right and there is a lot of construction so there
is no parking on the right side of the street for most of that block. The
yacht club is on your left. There will be a gate that looks locked but it
isn't; you can still open it. If you park closer to the parking lot
entrance, walk down the parking lot ramp.
--------------------
Bicycle, in-line skates, walking from the north:
Take the lakefront bicycle path south. At the end of LSD you'll have to go
left around the harbor to follow the path (it's around mile marker 17
miles) which will also be following the harbor. At the first cross street,
Promontory Drive, there will be a sign for LaRabida Children's hospital.
Turn left in the cross street and take it uphill (this is Chicago, so this
uphill stuff is relative) and bear around to the left when it forks. Take
the road to the end and come down the parking lot ramp. Bring a cable lock
if you have one; there aren't a lot of narrow posts, but we do have some
porch columns.
--------------
Public transportation:

Bus:
Get downtown (again, you're on your own). Take the #6 bus (Jeffery Express
it runs south down State Street between Lake and Congress, and then runs
down Michigan to Balbo and turns at Balbo to get on Lake Shore Drive)--or
better yet the #14 if it's at weekday rush hour (gotta call the CTA for
this route but it's on State or Michigan for part of it's route) --to 67th
and Jeffery. There is a golf course to the north and two gas stations on
either side of the street to the south. From there you have two options:
walk or another bus.
*Walk east across Jeffery and then north across 67th street and the golf
course to the end of Lake Shore Drive. You'll see the sailboat harbor on
your right (there's a powerboat harbor on the left. You don't want to go
there. Cross the street (I suggest with the light, here!) and you'll end up
on the bike path. Take the path east (turn right when you get across the
street) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!
*Take the #67 bus east. *Every other* #67 goes to LaRabida, so ask the
driver if he is going there. Take the bus to La Rabida, and you'll see the
harbor on your left. Walk to the gate (which looks locked but isn't) and
come on down!

"L" train & bus
Take the Red Line (Dan Ryan/Howard) to 67th street
or take the 67 (67th street) bus to the end of the line (every other 67th
street bus goes to La Rabida and hence the harbor). You'll see the harbor
on your left. Walk to the gate (which looks locked but isn't) and come on
down! (If you don't want to wait for the La Rabida 67, take any 67 to 67th
and Jeffery and follow the directions for walking from 67th and Jeffery above).
OR . . . (if the green line is more convenient for you)
ON WEEKENDS DURING THE SUMMER ONLY--Take the green line (the branch that
turns *east*, not the one that turns west--it's every other train) to the
end of the line at 63rd and University. Take the 63rd street bus east to
the end of the line--that will be the beach at 63rd. You'll see the harbor
to the south. Walk along the bike path until turns to the left (at the end
of Lake Shore Drive). Take the path east (the harbor will still be on your
left) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!

Metra
Take the "Metra Electric District South Shore Branch" (NOT the "South Shore
Line", which is a different animal) train from either the Randolph, Van
Buren, or 12th Street stop on Michigan Avenue stations. You
have two choices. You can get off at the "Bryn Mawr" stop (at 71st and
Jeffery, named after Bryn Mawr school--which was my grammar school (and
which has since been renamed) -- just down the block) or the "South Shore"
stop (71st and South Shore Drive, across from the South Shore Country
Club). The Bryn Mawr stop is slightly closer, the South Shore stop is a
nicer walk along the lake.
--From Bryn Mawr stop, walk north (the tracks run east/west at that point,
so if you face the direction the train was headed in and turn 90 degrees to
your left, that will be north) along the right hand side of the street
through the next light (67th street) and along the park/golf course until
you reach south end of Lake Shore Drive. You'll see the sailboat harbor on
your right (there's a powerboat harbor on the left. You don't want to go
there). Cross the street (I suggest with the light, here!) and you'll end
up on the bike path. Take the path east (turn right when you get across the
street) and then turn left on the first street you come to (on the left).
There is a sign for La Rabida Children's Hospital. Keep to your left as the
road forks and walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club. It looks
locked, but it's not. Come on down!
--From South Shore stop, cross the street to the north to reach the
entrance of the country club. Follow the sidewalk/bike path north and west
along the country club golf course and the lake and the park and parking
lot until you reach the first street on your right. There will be a sign
for La Rabida hospital. Turn right and head uphill (this is Chicago, so
this uphill stuff is relative) and bear around to the left when it forks.
Walk until you see the gate to the Yacht Club (on the left hand side of the
street). It looks locked, but it's not. Come on down!
-------
VITAL INFORMATION:

Lisa/Schuy Jewell
Land line:  773-752-6266
Cell phone :  773-343-0153
E-mail:  sloopscoop@jewellgems.com

Boat Name:  Sloop John B

Boat location:  Jackson Park Yacht outer harbor.  We're on one of the
mooring cans, and we'll either shuttle people out in the dinghy or pull to
the dock by the parking lot to pick folks up.